Monday 27 April 2015

The Goods Shed

Started to paint the Goods Shed.
I started with the back wall, that hopefully won't be seen much, if at all.
Given I wasn't happy with the first results, and the fact I did NOT sand down the top surface which it needs for the paint to adhere, I thought I was in diabolicle trouble, to the point I was going to make a new wall.
Last resort, a small hand held wire brush.
WONDERFUL!
Not only did I get rid of the top surface for easier and better painting but the wire brushing was enough to to leave a paint residue, which doesn't look to bad for older cement. by the time it is weathered I believe it will come up reasonably well.





The back wall.
The orange of the bricks is still to bright to my eye.




This end wall has had a paint and wire brush. Blank space is for the timber office.

Oh well, back to painting!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice work. I wouldn't be without the foamboard myself now, don't know how I managed without it!

    I have always loved the Ashburton branch and there is a fine precedent in folk building it from a great distance...I'm thinking of Brian Fayle back in the sixties, who really inspired me with his model, built in Canada. I guess it is quintessentially English, rural and West Country, which certainly rings many bells for me. I'm really looking forward to the project growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Iain.
    I suspect one of the real bonuses with Ashburton is that it fits in a small area.
    As for the Foamboard (Palight), it really is a gem to work with.
    I've tested Limonene and joined styrenne to it quite well, although all the main joints are with superglue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit to feeling a little disappointed when you abandoned Maiden Newton but am delighted to read that you have now chosen to model Ashburton.

    The layout and goods shed are coming along nicely and I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about modelling the train shed and the maltings which forms such a lovely, natural backscene.

    I'm very pleased that you are happy with the Palight, there will be no holding you back now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff,
    Maiden Newton.....NOT fully abandoned, well not yet anyway!
    Have to admit, when I started painting the Goods Shed I was a bit concerned, but as I progressed it is looking better and better. getting the fluctuations in the stone colour was what I was most worried about but it appears to be just falling into place without any effort.
    BTW, Thanks for your support over the years, when I have had questions, you have freely given advice and options to consider.
    It has been appreciated.

    ReplyDelete